About CAT 2018 Counselling:
- Courses Offered: IIMs offers courses like Postgraduate, Executive, and Doctoral programs. The two-year flagship program of IIMs – Post Graduate Diploma – is also most commonly known as MBA.
- Selected Candidates List: Once CAT 2018 Results are declared, a list of selected candidates would be put up for the IIMs. Shortlisted Candidates will receive an Interview Letter from each IIM directly.
- Counselling Process: All IIMs have separate CAT 2018 Counselling and Admission process. IIMs may also use previous academic performance of the candidates, relevant work experience.
- Merit List: Candidates are selected for CAT Admission based on merit and the process involves a rigorous selection procedure that consists of evaluating CAT scores, Essay Writing, Group Discussions (GD), Personal Interview (PI), and other factors.
- Preference: The Group Discussion has a very low preference compared to the other aspects of selection criteria in CAT 2018 Counselling.
- Priority: One of the most important stages of the CAT 2018 Counselling selection process is the Personal Interview for IIMs. Personal Interview is the most important stage for IIMs of the CAT 2018 Counselling selection process.
CAT 2018 Counselling Process:
Written Ability Test (WAT):
- GD Replaced by WAT: IIMs have introduced Writing Ability Test (WAT) rather than Group Discussion (GD) round. Out of the 20 IIMs, 11 IIMs have eliminated the Group Discussion round from their selection process. In fact, a few IIMs like IIM Lucknow and IIM Kozhikode still conduct both Ability test and GD for candidate selection.
- Analyze: IIMs Analyzes the candidate’s critical thinking skills, and their ability to solve the problem given to them correctly.
- Write-up: The candidate will be given a topic, for which the candidate needs to write a paragraph essay on that particular topic. It’s pen-paper based writing test.
- Duration: The time duration for Writing ability test varies upon Institutes. In IIM Bangalore the time duration is 30 mins, Whereas in IIM Lucknow the time is limited to 15 mins. But in IIM Ahmedabad it’s still even low its just 10 minutes.
- Improve Skills: The candidate must improve thinking skills and also his writing ability skills since there will be no much time to write the test.
- Up to Date: The candidate must be aware of trending news, socialism, current affairs. The topics of the essay will be like Corruption in India, Culture of India, Trump as President, Currency Demonetization.
CAT 2018 Group Discussion:
- Topic Allotment: Candidates get admission to IIMs by analyzing the performance in Group Discussion. For the group of 5 to 6 students will give one topic for the group discussion.
- Evaluation: IIM authority observes the candidates reasoning ability, communication skill, how the student is presenting himself to the crowd.
- Shortlist: The candidate must be convincing and reasonable. It also helps shortlist candidates who do well in the group discussion.
- Topics: The topics for group discussion, for each and every group, will be varied. The topics are based on National and International Politics, Current Affairs, Sports. Candidates are advised to gain some knowledge by reading news articles, blogs etc.
- Some hot topics for Group Discussion are as follows: Corruption, Currency Demonetization, Reliance Jio etc.
CAT 2018 Personal Interview:
- Selection: Personal Interview is a final phase of the selection procedure for IIM. Each IIM compulsorily has Personal Interview round for selection of candidates.
- Prepared: So the candidate needs to develop some soft skills and be prepared for face to face interview.
- Questioning Area: Questions may be asked in an IIM interview based on Personal life, Extra-curricular activities, academic performance, work experience, hobbies and Some general questions.
Reservation of Seats for Admission:
According to the policy of Indian government, the seat reservation will be applicable for CAT and the seats are reserved for the various categories such as:
[table id=8 /]
Shorlisting Candidates for PI & WAT
Candidates are shortlisted with a weightage system, as given below:
[table id=24 /]
For the final selection, weightage of all the stages in the selection process with work experience is calculated.
[table id=25 /]
CAT 2018 Counselling Participating Institutes:
- Indian Institute of Management Ranchi(IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode(IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Rohtak (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Trichy (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade Delhi (IIFT)
- Indian Institute of Management Kashipur (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Jammu (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Udaipur (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Indore (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Raipur (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIM)`
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS)
- Indian Institute of Management Nagpur (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Bodh Gaya (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Sirmaur (IIM)
- Management Development Institute Gurgaon (MDI)
- Indian Institute of Management Sambalpur (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Vishakapatanam (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Amritsar (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Management Lucknow (IIM)
- Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRM)
- Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIM)
- Xaviers’ Labour Relation Institute Jamshedpur (XLRI)
- P. Jain Institute of Management and Research Mumbai (SIMR)
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade Delhi (IIFT)