CAT 2018 Introduction:
- About: The Common Admission Test (CAT) is conducted every year for Post Graduate and Fellow programmes in various IIMs. The CAT 2018 Exam will be held on 4th Sunday of the 11th month i.e. November 25th, 2018.
- Purpose: The CAT entrance is considered one of the biggest MBA entrance tests in India and it helps to screen the eligible candidates to get admission in Top Management Colleges in India, especially the IIMs.
- Authority: Indian Institute of Managment (IIM) has absolute rights for conducting CAT examination and to decide about modalities of admissions and allotment of seats. The IIM’s conduct CAT 2018 exam on a rotational basis.
- Level: CAT is a National Level Entrance Exam for admission to various postgraduate management courses in functioning 20 IIMs and 150+ B-schools across India.
- Applicants: In 2017, more than 2.31 lakh students have enrolled for CAT examination which was conducted on November 26th, 2017. This time its expected that more than 2.5 lakh candidates will apply for the exam.
- Programmes: CAT is an eligibility test for Post Graduate Program, Post Graduate Program in Food and Agri-Business Management, Post Graduate Program in Enterprise Management, Post Graduate Diploma in Management, Executive Post Graduate Program, Post Graduate Program in Securities Markets, Post Graduate Program in Management for Working Executive, Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management, Post Graduate Program for Executives, and Post Graduate Program in Business Management courses offered by the IIMs.
- Conducting Body: The CAT 2018 will be conducted by IIM Calcutta.
- CAT evaluates the candidate’s Quantitative ability, verbal/ reading knowledge, data interpretation, and reasoning skills.
CAT 2018 News:
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) is the latest addition to the educational institutions that are not IIMs to accept the CAT scores.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee School of Management and Entrepreneurship (JNU’s latest school) will provide admissions to the candidates based on their CAT scores.
- Candidates can raise objections regarding the answers once the answer key is released to the public. This was implemented for the CAT 2017 and will be the same for this year test as well.
- CAT 2018 will have lesser number ofMultiple Choice Questions and will be compensated by questions that require answers to be keyed.
- The revised exam pattern is:
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)||34|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||32|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)||34|
CAT 2018 Exam Day Guidelines:
- Candidates are required to carry their admit card on the day of the exam. It is mandatory for the candidate to produce the admit card along with a valid ID proof. The candidate will not be allowed entry if they don’t have the admit card with them.
- Stationery items like pen and pencil are required for the candidates in case they need to work on the answers roughly on a sheet of paper.
- Candidates are not allowed to carry calculators, scientific calculators, smartwatches, bags, wallets, phones purses, or wear jewelry, Mehandi inside the exam hall.
- In case the candidate has changed their names, it is important for them to carry the necessary documents related to that.
CAT 2018 Important Details:
|Exam Name||Common Admission Test|
|Conducting Authority||Indian Institute of Management (IIM)|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Participating Institutes||IIMs, IITs, FMS, ISB and Other Management Institutes|
|CAT 2018 Exam time||3 Hours (180 Minutes- 60 Minutes for Each Section)|
|CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria||Graduation with 50%|
|CAT Help-desk||1800-2663-549 | firstname.lastname@example.org|
Courses Offered by IIMs:
Indian Institution of Mangement (IIM) offers many business administration programmes for the candidates. The courses offered through CAT is
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)
- Post Graduate Programme for Executives (PGPEX)
- Post Graduate Programme at Mumbai (PGP-Mumbai)
- Post Graduate Programme
- Post Graduate Programme for Working Experience (PGPWE)
- Post Graduate Programme in Agri-Business Management (PGP-ABM)
- Post Graduate Programme at UAE (PGP-UAE)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM)
- Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGPM)
- Post Graduate Programme in Business Management (PGPBM)
- Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM)
CAT 2018 Exam Dates:
- Application Form: CAT exam 2018 application form will be accessible from 6th August 2018 and the last date for submission is 19th September 2018 (Dates are Tentative).
- Admit Card: Admit Card of CAT exam 2018 will be available from 24th October 2018 and candidates can be downloaded from the official website.
- Exam Date: The CAT 2018 Exam Date has been announced and it will be held on 25th of November, 2018.
- Click Here to know more about the important details of the CAT 2018 examination.
CAT 2018 Eligibility Criteria:
It is important that the candidates who register for CAT 2018 be eligible to appear for the exam. The ineligible candidates will not be allowed to write the examination. The conducting authority rejects their application even if they had registered and paid the application fee. The standards or criteria given below are set by the conducting authority and will not be compromised at any point of time.
Note: The rejected candidates will not be given a refund.
- Minimum Marks: The candidates must score a minimum of 50% aggregate marks (General) in Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized institution for General/OBC students.
- Category Relaxation: Candidates who belong to the categories SC/ST/PWD/DA are required to have completed their degree with a minimum of at least 45% aggregate marks.
- Other Backgrounds: Candidates with CA/CS/ICWA degree (Gen: 50% & SC/ST/ PWD: 45%) can also apply.
- Age Limit: No Age limit specified to apply for the exam and a candidate can attempt as many time as they want.
- The candidate’s CGPA will be divided by the maximum possible CGPA and multiplied with 100, in the case of absence of percentage conversion scheme
- Candidates are required to fill the correct information while filling the application form.
- If found that the given details of the candidate are not correct during the document verification process will result in rejection of the application.
- If a candidate fulfills all the eligibility criteria does not mean the candidate is shortlisted. In order to be shortlisted, the candidate has to score well on the CAT 2018.
- Work Experience: It is not required that the candidate should have a prior work experience. The CAT 2018 Application Form has an option for those candidates who have experience to fill in the details regarding their work.
- To know about the complete criteria to apply for the CAT 2018, visit CAT 2018 Eligibility.
CAT 2018 Registration:
- Registration: Candidates can register for the CAT entrance examination from the CAT 2018 official website. CAT 2018 application form will be available from 9th August 2018.
- Fill Application Form: Candidates have to fill in their personal details, contact information, academics details, work experience (if any), program and exam centre preference.
- Upload Documents: Upload your scanned copies of documents such as Photograph, Signature, Category certificate and disability certificate according to the dimension specified.
- Application Fee: Candidates can pay the application fee via online or offline mode. After payment only, the application form will be considered complete and the candidate will receive a confirmation mail.
- Click Here to know more about Application form of CAT exam 2018.
CAT 2018 Admit Card:
CAT 2018 Admit Card is an important document for the candidate to carry on the exam day. The Admit Card is issued by the conducting authority, IIM Calcutta. The applicants who have successfully registered will only get the admit cards. The admit card is available online till November 25 for the candidate to download. The Admit Card will not be sent to the candidate by post or through emails.
Note: The Cat 2018 Admit Card should be preserved until all the rounds of selection processes end and also during the admission process.
- Admit Card Download: Candidates can log in to the official website (iimcat.ac.in) to download the CAT 2018 admit card.
- Click on “Login” under Download CAT 2018 Admit Card.
- A new window will open for the candidates to login. Use the login crendtails, User Id and Password.
- The page will be redirected to the candidate’s profile.
- Click on “Download Admit Card”
- Admit Card Availability: Admit card will be available to the candidates from 18th October 2018 (2 pm onwards).
- Details: Admit Card carries the details such as
- Name of the candidate
- Date of birth
- User ID/ Registration number
- Exam Schedule and Slot alotted
- Candidate’s Photograph
- Candidate”s Signature
- Exam Day Guidelines
- If you have problems downloading the admit card, visit CAT 2018 Admit Card.
CAT 2018 Syllabus:
- Syllabus: CAT is divided into 3 sections such as Logical & Data Interpretation, Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension.
- In order to appear for the CAT 2018, candidates have to thoroughly prepare on these topics listed below:
- Mathematics: Probability, Permutation and Combination, Percentage and its applications, LCM and HCF, Trigonometry, Algebra, Quadratic and Linear equations, Time work, Inequalities, Set Theory, Mixtures and Allegations, Geometry and its applications, Mensuration, Ratio and its Applications, Averages, Number and its applications.
- English: Sentence, Verbal Reasoning, Vocabulary, Fill in the blanks, Analogies, Critical Reasoning, Idioms, Syllogisms, Antonyms and Synonyms, Paragraph Completion, Paragraph Summary, Subject-Verb agreement, Parallel Construction, Prepositions, Articles, Modifiers, Phrasal Verbs, Redundancy, Para Jumbles, Para Completion, Cloze Passage, Facts, Judgments.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning: Caselets, Tables, Bar Graphs, Column Graphs, Line Charts, Pie Charts, Venn Diagrams, Games & Tournaments, Number and Letter Series, Clocks, Binary Logic, Syllogism, Logical Matching, Blood Relations, Calendars, Seating Arrangement.
- To know about the complete list of topics, visit CAT 2018 Syllabus.
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern:
- Exam Mode: CAT 2018 is a computer-based test.
- The question paper has three sections to test the knowledge of the candidate’s quantitative, verbal/reading, reasoning, and data interpretation skills.’
- Duration: The duration of the exam is 180 minutes (3 hours). Each section is limited to 60 minutes (1 hour)
- Marking Scheme: In CAT 2018, candidates will be given 3 marks for every correct answer and 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- Each section has both Multiple Choice Questions and non-Multiple Choice Questions which the candidate has to type it.
- Multiple Choice Questions have 4 choices from which the candidates have to choose the correct answer.
- The language of the question paper will be in English.
- The candidates cannot switch between sections. The candidate can only move to the next section when he/she has completed the section.
- Verbal and Reading Comprehension has 34 questions in it out of which 24 questions will be MCQ and the 10 will be non-MCQ.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning has 32 questions, out of which 24 questions will be MCQ and the remaining 8 will be non-MCQ.
- Quantitative Aptitude consists of 34 questions, out of which 7 will be non-MCQ and 27 questions will multiple choices.
- Click Here to know more about exam pattern of CAT exam 2018.
CAT 2018 Reservation Criteria
15% of the seats are reserved for the candidates who belong to Scheduled Caste (SC). 7.5% of the seats are reserved for the candidates who belong to Scheduled Tribes (ST). The reservation for the other categories are listd below:
- Non-Creamy Other Backward Classes – 27%
- People with Disability – 3%
- Total percentage of Reserved Seats – 52.5%
CAT 2018 Results:
- Result Date: CAT 2018 exam result will be declared in the 2nd week of January 2018.
- Login Details: The candidate must provide their CAT exam 2018 user ID and password to check their CAT 2018 result.
- Result Details: Result of CAT exam 2018 contains section-wise marks, overall score marks, and percentiles.
- Click here to know more about Results of the CAT exam 2018.
CAT 2018 Counselling:
- Counselling: Once the CAT result declared, shortlisted candidate have to appear for Personal Interview/Group Activity/Group Discussion and Extempore Activities rounds.
- Mandatory: The candidates must aware of the IIM counselling procedure before attending the counselling. So they should check the counselling procedure document list at the time of counselling.
- Click here to know more about Counselling process of the CAT exam 2018.
CAT 2018 Programmes Offer In Respected Institutions:
|IIM Ahmedabad||PGP, PGP-FABM, ePGP|
|IIM Bangalore||PGP, PGPEM, PGPPM|
|IIM Bodh Gaya||PGP|
|IIM Indore||PGP (Indore, Mumbai), EPGP, PGP-HRM|
|IIM Kashipur||PGP, EPGP|
|IIM Lucknow||PGP, PGP-ABM, PGP-SM|
|IIM Raipur||PGP, PGPWE|
|IIM Ranchi||PGDM, PGDHRM|
|IIM Rohtak||PGP, EPGP, EPGPX|
|RGIIM Shillong||PGP, PGPEX|
|IIM Tiruchirappalli||PGP, PGPBM|
CAT 2018 Fellow Programmes in Management (FPM):
|IIM Kashipur||FPM &EFPM
|IIM Raipur||FPM &EFPM
CAT 2018 Helpdesk Number:
- Help Desk Number: 1-800-266-3549
- E-mail: email@example.com
CAT 2018 Exam Trends:
|Year||Candidate Registered (in Lakhs)|
With respect to the statics of the last year, the demographics of the students who applied for the CAT 2017 are as follows.
CAT 2017 Geographical Diversity
CAT 2017 Degree-Wise Student Bifurcation
CAT 2018 Preparation Tips:
- Start Early: The main fundamental component to score high in the exam is to start early and prepare for the exam with a strategy which will help you with ample amount at the end for revision.
- Time Management: Managing your time efficiently helps the students focus on all the topics equally. Students will also understand how to finish preparing the topics before the exam starts thereby reducing the last minute anxiety.
- Targets: Set targets for each day. This will motivate the student to understand their potential.
- Breaks: It is important to realize when one cannot focus or concentrate on the topic then it is time for a break. It will be difficult to concentrate on the topics for a long period of time without breaks.
- Focus on basics: Focus on some of the basic concepts which are essential for the examination.
- Practice Problems: Practice all the topics related to CAT and emphasize on the topic which you feel are typical.
- Appear Mock: Mock tests help the students to understand how well they have prepared for the examination. Sample papers, previous year question papers, and online mock tests will provide the students to envision the question paper of CAT 2018.
- Review yourself: Once you complete a mock test, the results will help you to review yourself. There will be topics that need to be given a little more time, and there will be topics that are completely new. Practice one the topics in which you tend to lose marks.
- Generalize your Solution: There isn’t one specific time to solve a particular problem, there are several way to arrive at a solution. The smarter way is to solve the problem that takes lesser time and also comes up with the correct answer. This will help save time during CAT 2018.
- Practice Full Lenght Mock: After all the above tips and preparation start giving Full Lenght Mock which will help you to analyze your potential and weakness. Practice your weak topic from time to time.
CAT 2018 FAQ
Q. Is it possible to appear for more than one slot in CAT 2018?
No, it is not possible. It will be considered as fraudulent to appear for more than one slot. If any candidate attempts to do so will be eliminated.
Q. What am I supposed to do if I am unable to complete my application because the website crashed?
If an applicant cannot complete his/her application form for whatever technical glitches. The candidates have to force close the page, delete all the caches and cookies, and try again.
Q. My son has changed his name after graduation, does he have to provide his old name while filling the application form?
No, in this case, your son has to fill in the details using the changed name and also attach the necessary files that indicate the change of name.
Q. I received multiple passwords after registration, which one should I use?
In case if you had received multiple passwords in a row after completing the registration, the candidate should use the one that was received latest. If none of the passwords are working, click on Forgot Password while trying to log in.
Q. What should I do if my University name does not appear in the drop-down list of the CAT 2018 Application Form?
Select “Others” from the drop-down menu and type the name of your educational institution.
Q. What are the details that will be mentioned in the CAT 2018 Admit Card?
The admit card will have the following details. It is the duty of the candidate to ensure that all the details are printed on the issued admit card.
Q. What will I do with the admit card?
CAT 2018 Admit Card is a mandatory document that the candidates have to produce on the exam day. Failing which the candidate will not be allowed to enter the exam hall. There is no other alternative if a candidate has forgotten the admit card.
Q. Can I take the CAT 2018 from my personal computer at home?
No, the candidates are supposed to come to the venue and write the test using the provided workstations by the conducting authority.
Q. What does CBT mean?
CBT is the abbreviation for Computer-Based Test. CAT 2018 is a Computer-Based Test, the candidates are supposed to mark the answers using a computer.
Q. What are the three sections in CAT 2018?
Section I: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
Section II: Logic Analysis and Data Interpretation
Section III: Quantitative Ability
Q. Can I use a calculator to find the answers during the test?
No, you cannot use a calculator to solve problems. Calculator is one of the items that are prohibited inside the exam hall.
Q. When will the CAT 2018 Results be published?
As of now, it is speculated that the CAT 2018 Results will be published on January 7, 2019.
Q. Will the conducting authority send an SMS when the results are published?
Yes, IIM Calcutta will send the overall result of CAT 2018 to all the registered candidates’ phone number through an SMS.
Q. I am a candidate who belongs to the SC category. What are the documents required for me to submit?
You are required to submit the Caste Certificate which denotes that you belong to the particular tribe/ community. The certificate should clearly have the following details:
Whether you belong to the SC/St
Residence (District and State/ Union Territory)
The Government scheduled under which your caste/tribe is mentioned
Signature of the authorities
Q. How do I know if I belong to the NC-OBC category?
Visit the website, www.bcbc.nic.in to find if you belong to the BC-OBC category. Refer to the updated list and the benefits of the Non-Creamy OBC layer.
Q. What is PWD? Who belongs to the category PWD?
PWD is a category that supports persons with disability. The Indian Government has decided that the following people belong to this particular category:
Cerebral Palsy/ Locomotive Disability.
Q. Will the PWD candidates be given any extra time to complete the test?
Yes. An extra hour will be given for the candidates who belong to PWD. The 60 minutes will be distributed equally for the three sections. A PWD candidate has 80 minutes to complete each section whereas the candidates who belong to other categories have 60 minutes.
Q. Is it okay if I show the soft copy of my CAT 2018 Admit Card?
No, you need to download and take a hard copy of the admit card and bring it to the exam hall. The candidate will not be allowed entry if he/she shows a soft copy of the admit card.
Q. Who should I contact if there are any discrepancies in the admit card that has been issued?
If there are any issues with respect to the admit card,
call the toll-free number: 18002663549
Q. Is there any age restrictions for a candidate to be eligible to appear for CAT 2018?
No, there are no age limits.
Q. Am I eligible to appear for the exam if I don’t have a Bachelor’s degree?
No, you are not eligible to appear for the exam if you have not completed your bachelor’s degree. CAT is the gateway to get admissions into a master’s degree.
Q. Can I register using my friend’s email id for CAT 2018?
No, you cannot register for CAT 2018 using your friend’s email id like all the communications will happen through the registered mail id. It is important to register for CAT 201 using your personal email id.