Common Admission Test (CAT) 2019 exam will be held on Sunday November 24, 2019 in morning and afternoon sessions. Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Kozhikode started CAT registration from August 7, 2019 at 10 am. The authorities have released all the important details related to CAT 2019 on its official website iimcat.ac.in which was launched on July 28. IIM-CAT is the mandatory MBA entrance exam for admission to the flagship PGP (Post Graduate Programme in Management) in all the 20 IIMs.
CAT Registration 2019 the last date has been announced by IIM Kozhikode which is conducting CAT exam this year. The last date for CAT Registration 2019 is September 18, 2019. The deadline to submit the CAT Registration form 2019 is up to 5 PM on the last date of CAT Registration. CAT 2019 Registration fee is Rs.1900/- (Rs.950 for SC/ST category). No other application fee has to be paid to apply for any Indian Institute of Management. You need to complete CAT Registration online for MBA admission 2020 in 20 IIMs by login at official CAT official website and complete your CAT.
Purpose: The CAT exam helps management course aspirants to get admission in Top Management Colleges in India. The number of applicants for CAT 2019 is expected to be more than 2 lakh. Last year around 2.41 lakh candidates had registered themselves for the CAT exam.
Frequency: CAT is conducted once every year.
PG Management Programmes: Through CAT, IIMs offer MBA, PGP, PGP-FABM, PGPEM, PGDM, EPGP PGPSM, PGPWE, PGDHRM, PGPEX, and PGPBM.
What is CAT Exam?
The full form of CAT is the Common Admission Test. CAT Exam is the most popular national-level management entrance exam conducted by Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) for admission to 20 IIM’s and more than 100 B-schools across India. The exam is conducted and administered by one of the IIMs on a yearly rotational basis.
|Name of test||Common Admission Test (CAT)|
|Purpose of test||Qualifying test for admission to the PGP, FPM programmes at the IIMs and PGDM as well as MBA programmes at other B-Schools|
|Conducted by||IIM Kozhikode|
|Exam type||National level|
|CAT 2019 Exam Date||November 24, 2019|
|Number of Sessions||2 Session (Morning & Evening)|
|Periodicity||Once in a year|
|Score or Grade Validity||Till December 31, 2020|
|Total Number of Registrations||2,40,338 in 2018|
|Number of Test Takers||2,09,405 in 2018|
|Pattern of Test||MCQs and Non-MCQs|
|Number of Questions||100|
|Test Duration||3 hours|
|Syllabus||Questions from VARC, QA and DI & LR|
|Mode of Conduct||Computer-based test|
|CAT 2019 Convener||IIM Kozhikode|
|Reservation of seats in IIMs and B-schools||As per the Government of India regulations|
|CAT 2019 Official Website||https://iimcat.ac.in/|
Important Update for #CAT 2019:
- IIM Kozhikode has released CAT 2019 notification on July 28, 2019 .
- Unlike previous years, there is no increase in CAT 2019 Registration Fees
- This year, the exam will be conducted in 156 test cities across the country instead of 147 cities.
- CAT Result will be released in the second week of January 2020.
- In 2018, over 2.41 lakh candidates competed for 12,411 seats with 11 students scoring 100 percentile. Check CAT Cut off. Graduates with a minimum of 50% marks can apply for CAT.
- CAT 2019 Scores are valid till December 31, 2020 only. Thereafter no queries regarding its issuance will be entertained by IIM Kozhikode.
CAT 2019 Exam Day Guidelines:
- Candidates are required to carry their admit card on the day of the exam. It is mandatory for the candidate to produce the admit card along with a valid ID proof. The candidate will not be allowed entry if they don’t have the admit card with them.
- Stationery items like pen and pencil are required for the candidates in case they need to work on the answers roughly on a sheet of paper.
- Candidates are not allowed to carry calculators, scientific calculators, smartwatches, bags, wallets, phones purses, or wear jewellery, Mehandi inside the exam hall.
- In case the candidate has changed their names, it is important for them to carry the necessary documents related to that.
CAT 2019 Exam Dates:
|Official Notification of CAT 2019||July 28, 2019|
|CAT 2019 Application Form||August 7 – September 18, 2019|
|CAT 2019 Form Correction Window||September 27- September 30, 2019|
|Release of CAT 2019 Admit Card||October 23 – November 24, 2019|
|CAT 2019 Exam Date||November 24, 2019|
|CAT 2019 Result Date||January 7, 2020|
Courses Offered by IIMs:
Indian Institution of Mangement (IIM) offers many business administration programmes for the candidates. The courses offered through CAT is
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)
- Post Graduate Programme for Executives (PGPEX)
- Post Graduate Programme at Mumbai (PGP-Mumbai)
- Post Graduate Programme
- Post Graduate Programme for Working Experience (PGPWE)
- Post Graduate Programme in Agri-Business Management (PGP-ABM)
- Post Graduate Programme at UAE (PGP-UAE)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM)
- Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGPM)
- Post Graduate Programme in Business Management (PGPBM)
- Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM)
CAT 2019 Eligibility Criteria:
It is important that the candidates who register for CAT 2019 be eligible to appear for the exam. The ineligible candidates will not be allowed to write the examination. The conducting authority rejects their application even if they had registered and paid the application fee. The standards or criteria given below are set by the conducting authority and will not be compromised at any point of time.
Note: The rejected candidates will not be given a refund.
- Minimum Marks: The candidates must score a minimum of 50% aggregate marks (General) in Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized institution for General/OBC students.
- Category Relaxation: Candidates who belong to the categories SC/ST/PWD/DA are required to have completed their degree with a minimum of at least 45% aggregate marks.
- Other Backgrounds: Candidates with CA/CS/ICWA degree (Gen: 50% & SC/ST/ PWD: 45%) can also apply.
- Age Limit: No Age limit specified to apply for the exam and a candidate can attempt as many time as they want.
- Work Experience: It is not required that the candidate should have prior work experience. The CAT 2019 Application Form has an option for those candidates who have the experience to fill in the details regarding their work.
Candidates who are in the final year of their UG courses can also apply for CAT 2019. Further, if that candidate gets admission into an IIM he or she will be allowed to join the programme provisionally only if the candidate produces a certificate from the principal or the registrar of the institute or university in which the student has studied. The certificate must state that the student has completed all the necessary procedures for a Bachelor’s degree. Moreover, this certificate must be issued on or before the stipulated time mentioned by the particular IIM in which the student got admission.
Note: If found that the given details of the candidate are not correct during the document verification process will result in rejection of the application.
- If a candidate fulfils all the eligibility criteria does not mean the candidate is shortlisted. In order to be shortlisted, the candidate has to score well on the CAT 2019.
- To know about the complete criteria, visit CAT 2019 Eligibility.
CAT 2019 Application:
CAT 2019 Application Form has been made available at the official website from August 7, 2019. Candidates will be required to fill up general details like personal information and academic qualifications in the application form. The forms can be filled via online mode only on the official website, i.e., iimcat.ac.in. CAT 2019 registration last date is September 18, 2019.
- Registration: Candidates can register for the CAT entrance examination from the CAT 2019 official website.
- Fill Application Form: Candidates have to fill in their personal details, contact information, academics details, work experience (if any), program and exam centre preference.
- Upload Documents: Upload your scanned copies of documents such as Photograph, Signature, Category certificate and disability certificate according to the dimension specified.
- Application Fee: Candidates can pay the application fee via online mode. After payment only, the application form will be considered complete and the candidate will receive a confirmation mail.
|CAT Application Fee|
- Click Here to know more about the Application form of CAT exam 2019.
The following documents are required to fill the CAT Application Form
- Academic history details
- Mark sheet of 10th /12th/ Degree/Diploma
- Work experience (if applicable)
- Certificates of achievements (if any)
- Scanned image files of your passport size photo and signature
- A valid debit/credit card/net banking/E-Wallet for application fee payment.
CAT 2019 Admit Card:
CAT 2019 Admit Card is an important document for the candidate to carry on the exam day. The Admit Card is issued by the conducting authority, IIM Kozhikode. The applicants who have successfully registered will only get the admit cards. The admit card is available online till November 24 for the candidate to download. The Admit Card will not be sent to the candidate by post or through emails.
Note: The Cat 2019 Admit Card should be preserved until all the rounds of selection processes end and also during the admission process.
- Admit Card Download: Candidates can log in to the official website (iimcat.ac.in) to download the CAT 2019 admit card.
- Click on “Login” under Download CAT 2019 Admit Card.
- A new window will open for the candidates to login. Use the login credentials, User Id and Password.
- The page will be redirected to the candidate’s profile.
- Click on “Download Admit Card”
- Admit Card Availability: Admit card will be available to the candidates from 18th October 2018 (2 pm onwards).
- Details: Admit Card carries the details such as
- Name of the candidate
- Date of birth
- User ID/ Registration number
- Exam Schedule and Slot alotted
- Candidate’s Photograph
- Candidate’s Signature
- Exam Day Guidelines
- If you have problems downloading the admit card, visit CAT 2019 Admit Card.
CAT 2019 Syllabus:
- Syllabus: CAT is divided into 3 sections such as Logical & Data Interpretation, Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension.
- In order to appear for the CAT 2019, candidates have to thoroughly prepare on these topics listed below:
- Mathematics: Probability, Permutation and Combination, Percentage and its applications, LCM and HCF, Trigonometry, Algebra, Quadratic and Linear equations, Time work, Inequalities, Set Theory, Mixtures and Allegations, Geometry and its applications, Mensuration, Ratio and its Applications, Averages, Number and its applications.
- English: Sentence, Verbal Reasoning, Vocabulary, Fill in the blanks, Analogies, Critical Reasoning, Idioms, Syllogisms, Antonyms and Synonyms, Paragraph Completion, Paragraph Summary, Subject-Verb agreement, Parallel Construction, Prepositions, Articles, Modifiers, Phrasal Verbs, Redundancy, Para Jumbles, Para Completion, Cloze Passage, Facts, Judgments.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning: Caselets, Tables, Bar Graphs, Column Graphs, Line Charts, Pie Charts, Venn Diagrams, Games & Tournaments, Number and Letter Series, Clocks, Binary Logic, Syllogism, Logical Matching, Blood Relations, Calendars, Seating Arrangement.
- To know about the complete list of topics, visit CAT 2019 Syllabus.
CAT 2019 Exam Pattern:
CAT Exam pattern 2019 and its difficulty level is expected to change this year. Convened by IIM Kozhikode, CAT 2019 will be held on November 24, 2019 as a computer-based test of 3 hours duration in Morning and afternoon slots. It is expected that in the official release mock test after October 20, IIM Kozhikode will reveal the correct CAT 2019 exam pattern and type of questions.
- Exam Mode: CAT 2019 is a computer-based test. The question paper has three sections to test the knowledge of the candidate’s quantitative, verbal/reading, reasoning, and data interpretation skills.’
- Duration: The duration of the exam is 180 minutes (3 hours). Each section is limited to 60 minutes (1 hour)
- Marking Scheme: Candidates will be given 3 marks for every correct answer and 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- Each section has both Multiple Choice Questions and non-Multiple Choice Questions which the candidate has to type it.
- Multiple Choice Questions have 4 choices from which the candidates have to choose the correct answer.
- The language of the question paper will be in English. The candidates cannot switch between sections. The candidate can only move to the next section when he/she has completed the section.
- Verbal and Reading Comprehension has 34 questions in it out of which 24 questions will be MCQ and the 10 will be non-MCQ.
- Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning has 32 questions, out of which 24 questions will be MCQ and the remaining 8 will be non-MCQ.
- Quantitative Aptitude consists of 34 questions, out of which 7 will be non-MCQ and 27 questions will multiple choices.
- Click Here to know more about the exam pattern of CAT exam 2019.
CAT 2019 Reservation Criteria
15% of the seats are reserved for the candidates who belong to Scheduled Caste (SC). 7.5% of the seats are reserved for the candidates who belong to Scheduled Tribes (ST). The reservation for the other categories are listed below:
- Non-Creamy Other Backward Classes – 27%
- People with Disability – 3%
- Total percentage of Reserved Seats – 52.5%
CAT Cut off:
The cutoff for CAT exam depends on various factors like the total number of applicants, the difficulty level of exam, seats available and previous years’ cutoff. Each IIM will announce its cutoff for shortlisting candidates for the selection process separately.
Candidates must clear sectional and overall cutoff to be eligible for the subsequent rounds. The overall cutoff for IIMs usually falls between 90-99 percentile.
The top 3 IIMs- Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Calcutta have a cut off over 99 percentile. The cutoff for other top business schools like FMS, JBIMS, and SPIJMR is over 95 percentile.
Minimum percentile required to clear CAT Cutoff for different sections are provided below. Previous year CAT cut off can be very helpful to the students to plan carefully for the current year’s exam.
CAT 2019 Results:
IIM Kozhikode is expected to release the CAT 2019 Results in the 2nd week of January 2019. The scorecards will be published online along with the results. The candidates will be notified about their percentile via SMS and the score will be valid for 1 year.
- Result Date: CAT 2019 exam result will be declared in the 2nd week of January 2019 (Tentative).
- Login Details: The candidate must provide their CAT exam user ID and password to check their CAT 2019 result.
- Result Details: Result of CAT exam 2019 contains section-wise marks, overall score marks, and percentiles.
- Click here to know more about Results of the CAT exam.
Courses Offered by IIMs:
[table id=4 /]
[table id=5 /]
How to Prepare for CAT Exam?
We all think to achieve the maximum in CAT Exam. We study a lot for it. We prepare for all sorts of problems that will be there in the exam.
But, let me ask you one thing. What if the CAT exam is different than your expectations? What will you do? How can you go for the maximum if you don’t know how to secure the respectable minimum marks? Now, the question arises, how to do that?
Doing nothing is equally good as doing everything.
The basic thing to know is that you don’t have to do a lot of hard work to get to the 50 percentile mark. It is analyzed that if an applicant doesn’t even attempt any question of CAT Exam, he/she will be still able to reach the 50 percentile mark. So, getting 50+ percentile is not a big deal to crack.
Candidates often get confused with regard to the appropriate CAT Books or study material to refer to. They look for the material which the toppers have approved of. This is bound to happen since their no dearth of CAT Preparation Books in the market.
In CAT, candidates have to perform well in all the 3 sections. Access your performance in mock test and sample papers and find out the average number of accurate answers. Increasing 1 accurate answer in each section will directly add 9 more marks to your total score.
CAT 2018 Helpdesk Number:
- Help Desk Number: 1-800-266-3549
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CAT Exam Trends:
[table id=7 /]
With respect to the statics of the last year, the demographics of the students who applied for the CAT 2018 are as follows.
CAT 2019 Preparation Tips:
- Start Early: The main fundamental component to score high in the exam is to start early and prepare for the exam with a strategy which will help you with ample amount at the end for revision.
- Time Management: Managing your time efficiently helps the students focus on all the topics equally. Students will also understand how to finish preparing the topics before the exam starts thereby reducing the last minute anxiety.
- Targets: Set targets for each day. This will motivate the student to understand their potential.
- Breaks: It is important to realize when one cannot focus or concentrate on the topic then it is time for a break. It will be difficult to concentrate on the topics for a long period of time without breaks.
- Focus on basics: Focus on some of the basic concepts which are essential for the examination.
- Practice Problems: Practice all the topics related to CAT and emphasize on the topic which you feel are typical.
- Appear Mock: Mock tests help the students to understand how well they have prepared for the examination. Sample papers, previous year question papers, and online mock tests will provide the students to envision the question paper of CAT 2018.
- Review yourself: Once you complete a mock test, the results will help you to review yourself. There will be topics that need to be given a little more time, and there will be topics that are completely new. Practice one the topics in which you tend to lose marks.
- Generalize your Solution: There isn’t one specific time to solve a particular problem, there are several way to arrive at a solution. The smarter way is to solve the problem that takes lesser time and also comes up with the correct answer. This will help save time during CAT 2018.
- Practice Full Lenght Mock: After all the above tips and preparation start giving Full Lenght Mock which will help you to analyze your potential and weakness. Practice your weak topic from time to time.
CAT 2019 FAQ
Q. Is it possible to appear for more than one slot in CAT 2018?
No, it is not possible. It will be considered as fraudulent to appear for more than one slot. If any candidate attempts to do so will be eliminated.
Q. What am I supposed to do if I am unable to complete my application because the website crashed?
If an applicant cannot complete his/her application form for whatever technical glitches. The candidates have to force close the page, delete all the caches and cookies, and try again.
Q. My son has changed his name after graduation, does he have to provide his old name while filling the application form?
No, in this case, your son has to fill in the details using the changed name and also attach the necessary files that indicate the change of name.
Q. I received multiple passwords after registration, which one should I use?
In case if you had received multiple passwords in a row after completing the registration, the candidate should use the one that was received the latest. If none of the passwords is working, click on Forgot Password while trying to log in.
Q. What should I do if my University name does not appear in the drop-down list of the CAT 2019 Application Form?
Select “Others” from the drop-down menu and type the name of your educational institution.
Q. What are the details that will be mentioned in the CAT 2019 Admit Card?
The admit card will have the following details. It is the duty of the candidate to ensure that all the details are printed on the issued admit card.
Q. What will I do with the admit card?
CAT 2019 Admit Card is a mandatory document that the candidates have to produce on the exam day. Failing which the candidate will not be allowed to enter the exam hall. There is no other alternative if a candidate has forgotten the admit card.
Q. Can I take the CAT 2018 from my personal computer at home?
No, the candidates are supposed to come to the venue and write the test using the provided workstations by the conducting authority.
Q. What does CBT mean?
CBT is the abbreviation for Computer-Based Test. CAT 2019 is a Computer-Based Test, the candidates are supposed to mark the answers using a computer.
Q. What are the three sections in CAT 2019?
Section I: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
Section II: Logic Analysis and Data Interpretation
Section III: Quantitative Ability
Q. Can I use a calculator to find the answers during the test?
No, you cannot use a calculator to solve problems. Calculator is one of the items that are prohibited inside the exam hall.
Q. When will the CAT 2018 Results be published?
As of now, it is speculated that the CAT 2019 Results will be published on January 7, 2019.
Q. Will the conducting authority send an SMS when the results are published?
Yes, IIM Kozhikode will send the overall result of CAT 2019 to all the registered candidates’ phone number through an SMS.
Q. I am a candidate who belongs to the SC category. What are the documents required for me to submit?
You are required to submit the Caste Certificate which denotes that you belong to the particular tribe/ community. The certificate should clearly have the following details:
Whether you belong to the SC/St
Residence (District and State/ Union Territory)
The Government scheduled under which your caste/tribe is mentioned
Signature of the authorities
Q. How do I know if I belong to the NC-OBC category?
Visit the website, www.bcbc.nic.in to find if you belong to the BC-OBC category. Refer to the updated list and the benefits of the Non-Creamy OBC layer.
Q. What is PWD? Who belongs to the category PWD?
PWD is a category that supports persons with disability. The Indian Government has decided that the following people belong to this particular category:
Cerebral Palsy/ Locomotive Disability.
Q. Will the PWD candidates be given any extra time to complete the test?
Yes. An extra hour will be given for the candidates who belong to PWD. The 60 minutes will be distributed equally for the three sections. A PWD candidate has 80 minutes to complete each section whereas the candidates who belong to other categories have 60 minutes.
Q. Is it okay if I show the soft copy of my CAT 2019 Admit Card?
No, you need to download and take a hard copy of the admit card and bring it to the exam hall. The candidate will not be allowed entry if he/she shows a soft copy of the admit card.
Q. Who should I contact if there are any discrepancies in the admit card that has been issued?
If there are any issues with respect to the admit card,
call the toll-free number: 18002663549
Q. Is there any age restrictions for a candidate to be eligible to appear for CAT 2019?
No, there are no age limits.
Q. Am I eligible to appear for the exam if I don’t have a Bachelor’s degree?
No, you are not eligible to appear for the exam if you have not completed your bachelor’s degree. CAT is the gateway to get admissions into a master’s degree.
Q. Can I register using my friend’s email id for CAT 2019?
No, you cannot register for CAT 2019 using your friend’s email id like all the communications will happen through the registered mail id. It is important to register for CAT using your personal email id.